REFINANCE YOUR HOUSE AND SAVE MONEY EVERY MONTH | Credit Union 04/12/2016
You might be one of many Americans who could benefit from refinancing your home.
About 3 million borrowers could save at least $200 a month by refinancing. By refinancing and locking in a better rate on your loan, you could reduce your monthly payment and save thousands of dollars in interest on the life of your mortgage. A lower interest rate also could allow you to build equity in your home more quickly.
If you're considering refinancing, your lender will run a copy of your credit report. Other items you will need include:
- Copies of previous two years' W-2 forms;
- Copy of two most-recent pay stubs;
- Three months' worth of the most recent statements for checking/share draft and savings accounts;
- Copy of title insurance policy;
- Copy of current homeowners insurance policy;
- Copy of survey done for your last closing if available;
- The cost of appraisal and credit report; and
- Social Security numbers of all applicants.
When you refinance, you close your existing mortgage and create a new one. The approval process to refinance is similar to the process of obtaining your original loan. The mortgage team at your credit union or bank will consider your income and debt, credit score, and other factors affecting your financial situation.
Your new interest rate will be based primarily on your down payment and credit score. When considering a refinance, you also want to understand your break-even point: Weigh the costs of refinancing against how much you'll save each month to know when you will recoup costs over the length of your new loan.